Monday, January 21, 2013

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day!
I enjoy having a day of rest. I so am grateful for the time off to order seeds, evaluate my farm plan and thank my ancestors while doing it. Even though the holiday is name MLK day I use this as another opportunity to be grateful for those that came before me. I am almost sure that one of the many reasons black folk are not farming any more is because of the early association with agriculture and slavery. Yes I am clear that is only one of many reasons as to why most of them stop farming.

I see freedom in this new farm venture. I see a way for me to be sustaining, healthy and infinite in possibilities. I will be sharing my evening with some like minded homesteaders who will also use this day to reflect on freedom, fairness and love. My ancestors were some of the greatest growers in the entire world and I am excited to continue their agriculture legacy. Thank you Dr. King for being courageous enough to share your dream, I hope I am making you proud.

"We were here before the mighty words of the Declaration of Independence were etched across the pages of history. Our forebears labored without wages. They made cotton 'king'. And yet out of a bottomless vitality, they continued to thrive and develop. If the cruelties of slavery could not stop us, the opposition we now face will surely fail... Because the goal of America is freedom, abused and scorned tho' we may be, our destiny is tied up with America's destiny."
- Martin Luther King, Jr., "Letter from Birmingham Jail"

No comments:

Post a Comment